Traveling to Mexico

Foreign nationals who intend to attend a congress may enter Mexico with the migration status and category of Non-resident Tourist; it is NOT necessary to obtain the FM3 form, unless they intend to engage in any paid activity.

Mexican law does not require you to carry an ID document with you - but it is recommended to do so. It is always best for visitors to make two copies of their passport identification page. This will facilitate replacement if a passport is lost or stolen. Leave one copy at home with friends or relatives. Carry the other with you in a separate place from your passport. Leave your passport in your hotel safe deposit.

Upon request, a letter of invitation will be sent to all submitters of scientific material, invited speakers, and invited participants from countries in which a visa is needed. For other participants, we kindly request you to send us official documentation of your professional affiliation with mathematics education. After receiving your documentation, an official invitation letter will be sent to you as well.


Mexico Passport & Visa Requirements
Entry requirements for Americans: United States citizens must have a valid passport when traveling to Mexico. A visa is not required for stays of up to 180 days, if holding a Tourist Card/FMT form issued free of charge by airlines. Business travellers do not require a visa for up to 30 days if holding a FMN form. From 23 January 2007 all US citizens travelling to and from Mexico by air will require a passport (date extended to 30 September 2007 providing hold proof of passport application and an official photo ID); by 1 January 2008 the requirement will be extended to include all land and sea border crossings as well.

U.S. and Canadian citizens traveling as tourists beyond the border zone or entering Mexico by air must pay a fee to obtain a tourist card, also known as an FM-T, available from Mexican consulates, Mexican border crossing points, Mexican tourism offices, airports within the border zone and most fairlines serving Mexico. The fee for the tourist card is generally included in the price of a plane ticket for travelers arriving by air.

Countries exempt from visa requirement

As of May 2007, the Foreign Relations Office provides the following list of countries whose citizens are exempt of requesting a visa to enter Mexico. If your country of origin is not included in this list, please call your local Mexican Consulate for information on visa requirements. We strongly advise all participants to check with their airline to make sure there have been no changes to this list. (list source)

    If you are a citizen of Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Island, Israel, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, San Marino, Singapore, Slovenia, Spain, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, United States of America, Uruguay or Venezuela, you don’t need a visa to enter Mexico, although you must present a valid passport and fill out an immigration form for tourists and business trips, which can be obtained in travel agencies, airlines or at the point where you enter Mexico

The information in this site is presented as a guide, but it might not be current. Though we strive to maintain it updated, there may be changes which escape our notice, so we assume no responsibility. For further, authoritative information, please check the list of embassies and consulates. Bear in mind that the visa granting process can take between one and three months; you are advised to start the process as early as possible.